Saturday, October 9, 2010

Do Not Recline

James Collins had a great article in the NY Times Sunday Book Review a couple of weeks ago about forgetting the contents of books you've read. This is a huge problem for me (although if this article is anything to go by I'm not alone - relief!), particularly embarrassing when a friend wants to discuss a book I have adamantly recommended them and I cannot recall the first thing about it.

The article suggests that this forgetfulness can be rectified by vigorous note-taking and re-reading. I don't think I'm prepared to do that for everything I read, but I am finding more and more that I return to old favourites to get to know them better. Come to think of it though, I'm not sure it helps - I must've read The Secret History by Donna Tartt four or five times now, and yet every time I am shocked anew when Henry kills himself (it is Henry who does that, isn't it?). By the time I come to read it again, I will have forgotten that I recalled that plot point for the purposes of this blog post and gasp with disbelief when he pulls the trigger.


Perhaps this is an upside - I can enjoy my favourite novels for the first time, over and over again.

No comments: